What is an IVR?
An Auto Attendant is like having a virtual receptionist. A message such as “dial 1 for Sales, dial 2 for Support, dial 3 for Accounts” will play and direct the caller based on their selection.
How to set up your IVR
- First Upload your IVR messages to Messages by going to 'Admin' (in the main menu) >> 'Messages' (under 'Options') >> Click Add >> 'Name': Name your uploaded message and under 'Audio file': Select Add audio file >> Save
- Now go to 'Admin' >> 'IVR' (under 'Advanced options')
- Click Add
- 'Name': Give your IVR a Name. (It is for your reference only)
- 'Timeout': Enter the number of seconds the caller has available to make a selection on the IVR
- 'Maximum attempts': Enter the number of times a caller can make an invalid selection on the IVR
- Select your 'Start message' (this will be the Welcome message); 'Incorrect message' (played when the caller makes an invalid selection) and 'Timeout message' (played when the Timeout time is exceeded).
- Click Save
Update your Dialplan
- Click add step
- Click on the drop-down menu in the first field and Select IVR. Follow this by selecting the relevant IVR in the second field with a drop-down menu. Save your updates for that step.
- Click on the 3 dots to update the Option step
- Click Edit
- Select an option number e.g. If it’s 1 for Sales then the number is 1 >> Add a step(s) so that calls can be routed to a destination i.e. a Call group, VoIP account, Fixed destination, Voicemail, etc.
- Click Save to add the step
- Repeat the 3 steps above for your other IVR options
- The 'Other/failed' option is for when the caller does not manage to supply the correct input in the given time and/or attempts.
- Save Dialplan
Please note: Options that are allowed are the numbers 1-9 and the symbols * and #.